Dr. Herman Mannaerts
I studied medicine at the Erasmus University Rotterdam and graduated in 1985. I then worked at the Isala klinieken in Zwolle, and more than 8 years at the VUmc in Amsterdam, where I was promoted to Doctor of Medicine in 2004 with the thesis: “Clinical Applications of 3D Echocardiography”. And more than 10 years in ZH Amstelland, Amstelveen. I had been working for two ZBCs since 2016: the Heart Clinic, and afterwards the Cardiology Foundation Amsterdam, and I have long observed in the ADRZ in Vlissingen and Goes.
A highly experienced all-round cardiologist and clinician with special interest and experience in imaging, heart failure and valve disease. I also have extensive experience in cardiac CT (which I now also do in ADRZ) and MRI, TEEs and stress ultrasounds and cardiac catheterizations. Since 2013 I have assessed many cardiac MRIs and CTs in ZH Amstelland, where I was also head of the heart function and of the heart failure clinic. I am attached to the Amsterdam Heart Failure Consultation. As I said, I was promoted in 2004 on the 3D echocardiography (3D TTE and 3D TEE) in the VUmc.
Working at Acibadem is nice because patients can be referred to other specialism, with short lines and vice versa patients to be referred to. In that respect it works as a small hospital.
Cardiologist since 1995
Specialization / focus areas
Imaging, heart failure, valve arrest, cardiac CT and MRI, TEEs, stress ultrasounds and cardiac catheterizations.
2006–2016 Cardiologist in partnership at Amstelland Hospital, Amstelveen. Head of the Heart function and Heart failure clinic
1997-2005 Cardiologist (staff member) at the VUMC in Amsterdam
1996-1997 Cardiologist at the Sophia Hospital (now Isala Klinieken), Zwolle
1995-1996 Cardiologist at the AMC in Amsterdam
1992-1995 AGIO Cardiology at the AZG (now University Medical Center Groningen), prof.dr. K.I. Lie with catherisation internship in Medisch Spectrum Twente in Enschede
1990-1992 AGIO cardiology at the AZR Dijkzigt, prof.dr. J.R.T.C. Roelandt
1988-1990 Echocardiographic research at the AZR Dijkzigt (now Erasmus Medical Center) Rotterdam, by Prof. J.R.T.C. Roelandt1988AGNIO cardiology in the Zuiderziekenhuis in Rotterdam, on behalf of Dr. X.H. Krauss
1986-1988 B-program Internal Medicine in hospital Mario Foundation in Haarlem (now Spaarne Hospital) o.l. dr. J. Verwiel and dr. S.C.C. Reinders Folmer1986AGNIO cardiology at the Groot Zieken Gasthuis in Den Bosch, the Netherlands, on behalf of J.M.J. van der Pol
1978-1985 Medicine, Medical Faculty Rotterdam1972-1978Gymnasium B, Pauluslyceum in Tilburg
2004 PhD degree at the VU University Amsterdam on the thesis “Clinical applications of 3D echocardiography”. Supervisor: prof.dr. C.A. Visser, co-supervisor: Dr. O. Camp.
2003-present Chairman of the 3D echocardiography sub-working group of the echocardiography working group, associated with the NVVC.
2003-present Presentation of a large number of lectures at national (NVVC) and international congresses (ESC, Euroecho, American Heart Association, American College of Cardiology), of which 4 times as “invited speaker”. Speaker on a large number of courses and symposia (CVOI Echo Evenings, World Echo Day). Author of 2 editorials in the European Heart Journal, and permanent reviewer thereof
1. Schalm SW, Heytink RA, Mannaerts HFJ, Vreugdenhil A. Immune response to hepatitis B vaccine in drug addicts. Journal of Infection 1983; 7 (suppl 1): 41-45.
2. Mannaerts HFJ, Roelandt JRTC, Sutherland GR, Balk AHHM, Smyllie JH. Can ultrasound reliably predict acute rejection in heart transplant recipients ? (bookchapter). In: Andries E, Stroobandt R, eds. Hemodynamics in daily practice. Kluwer academic publishers, 1990.
3. Mannaerts HF, Balk AH, Simoons ML, Tijssen J, van der Borden SG, Zondervan P, Sutherland GR, Roelandt JR. Changes in left ventricular function and wall thickness in heart transplant recipients and their relation to acute rejection: an assessment by digitised M mode echocardiography. Br Heart J. 1992; 68(4): 356-64.
4. Mannaerts HFJ, Roelandt JRTC, Balk AHMM. Ultrasound for the non-invasive diagnosis of moderate acute rejection in patients after heart transplantation. The Thoraxcentre Journal 1991; 3: 13-15.
5. Mannaerts HF, Simoons ML, Balk AH, Tijssen J, van der Borden SG, Zondervan PE, Mochtar B, Weimar W, Roelandt JR. Pulsed-wave transmitral Doppler do not diagnose moderate acute rejection after heart transplantation. J Heart Lung Transplant. 1993; 12(3): 411-21.
6. Mannaerts HFJ, May JF, Vierboom MAC, Hamer JPM. Snel progressieve aorta-insufficientie bij een patiente met ernstige rheumatoide arthritis. NTVG 1994; 138: 618-621.
7. Mannaerts H, Balk A, Roelandt J. Influence of heart rate, respiration and recipient atrial contraction on pulsed wave transmitral Doppler flow indices in orthotopic heart transplant recipients. Eur Heart J. 1997; 18(10):1663-9.
8. Mannaerts HF, Hekker T, Visser CA. A rare case of aortic valve endocarditis caused by Tropheryma Whippelii with left coronary cusp perforation diagnosed by transoesophageal echocardiography and PCR. Heart 1999; 81(2): 217.
9. Mannaerts HFJ, Visser CA. Prosthetic valves (bookchapter). In Poelaert and Skarvan, eds. “Transoesophageal Echocardiography in Anaesthesia and Intensive Care Medicine, first edition”. BMJ Publishing group, 2000.
10. Mannaerts H, Li Y, Kamp O, Valocik G, Hrudova J, Ripa S, Visser C. Quantitative assessment of mechanical prosthetic valve area by 3-dimensional transesophageal echocardiography. J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2001; 14(7):723-31.
11. Mannaerts HF, Kamp O, van der Heide JA, Valocik G, Visser CA. Importance of transducer displacement and tilting on three-dimensional echocardiographic volume assessment using apical or off-axis rotational acquisition: an in vitro study. J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2002; 15(1): 46-54.
12. Mannaerts HFJ. Empowering physicians to control the course of cardiovascular disease and help their patients. Netherlands Heart Journal 2002; 10 (supplement 2): 46-47.
13. Valocik G, Kamp O, Mihciokur M, Mannaerts HF, Li Y, Ripa S, Visser CA. Assessment of the left atrial appendage mechanical function by three-dimensional echocardiography. Eur J Echocardiogr. 2002; 3(3): 207-13.
14. Mannaerts HF, Van Der Heide JA, Kamp O, Papavassiliu T, Marcus JT, Beek A, Van Rossum AC, Twisk J, Visser CA. Quantification of left ventricular volumes and ejection fraction using freehand transthoracic three-dimensional echocardiography: comparison with magnetic resonance imaging. J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2003; 16(2): 101-9.
15. Langerveld J, Valocik G, Plokker HW, Ernst SM, Mannaerts HF, Kelder JC, Kamp O, Jaarsma W. Additional value of three-dimensional transesophageal echocardiography for patients with mitral valve stenosis undergoing balloon valvuloplasty. J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2003; 16(8): 841-9.
16. Mannaerts HF, van der Heide JA, Kamp O, Stoel MG, Twisk J, Visser CA. Early identification of left ventricular remodelling after myocardial infarction, assessed by transthoracic 3D echocardiography. Eur Heart J. 2004; 25(8): 680-7.
17. Mannaerts HFJ, Visser CA. Prosthetic valves (bookchapter). In Poelaert and Skarvan, eds. “Transoesophageal Echocardiography in Anaesthesia and Intensive Care Medicine, second edition”. BMJ Publishing group, 2004
18. Van der Heide JA, Mannaerts HF, Spruijt HJ, van Campen LM, de Cock C, Visser CA, Kamp O. Noninvasive mapping of left ventricular electromechanical asynchrony by three-dimensional echocardiography and semi-automatic contour detection. Am J Cardiol. 2004; 94(11):1449-53.
19. Mannaerts HF, Kamp O, Visser CA. Should mitral valve area assessment in patients with mitral stenosis be based on anatomical or on functional evaluation? A plea for 3D echocardiography as the new clinical standard. Editorial Eur Heart J. 2004; 25(23): 2073-4.
20. Percutaneous transcatheter closure of atrial septal defects: initial single-centre experience and follow-up results. Initial experience with three-dimensional echocardiography. De Ridder S, Suttorp MJ, Ernst SM, Six JA, Mannaerts HF, Kamp O, Plokker TH, Jaarsma W. Acta Cardiol. 2005 Apr;60(2):171-8.
21. Mannaerts HF. Regression of left ventricular mass and wall thickness after cardiac resynchronization therapy: proof of pathophysiological concept. Eur Heart J 2006 27: 1392-1393.
22. Van Dijk J, Mannaerts HFJ, Germans T. et al. The left bundle branch block revised with novel imaging modalities. Netherlands Heart Journal 2006; 14:372-380.
23. Van der Heide, J.A. Mannaerts, H.F.J, Yang, L., et al. Contrast-enhanced versus non-enhanced three-dimensional echocardiography of left ventricular volumes. Netherlands Heart Journal 2008; 16, Issue 2, pp 47-52.
24. Vreugdenhil G, Mannaerts H.F. Abandoning diesel because of health perspectives: are there reasonable alternatives? Ann Oncol. 2016 Jul;27(7):1360-1